The second iteration of Harrison’s Bus Regulation: The Musical – inspired by the 1980s hit musical ‘Starlight Express’ – re-enacts the history of public transport provision in the Strathclyde region from the post-war period to the present day… on roller skates!
Bus Regulation: The Musical by Ellie Harrison is inspired by the 1980s hit musical ‘Starlight Express’, and features performers on roller skates to re-enact the history of public transport provision in the Strathclyde region from the post-war period to the present day.
Beginning with the municipal ownership of buses in the 1960s, through the 1968 Transport Act which created the Greater Glasgow PTE and the Trans-Clyde integrated system in 1979, Bus Regulation: The Musical takes you into the chaos caused by bus de-regulation in 1986, the numerous mergers & takeovers of the 1990s that followed, right up to the fragmented and expensive system we’re left with as a result. The Musical concludes with a celebration of Get Glasgow Moving’s proposals to re-regulate the region’s buses in order to create a world-class, fully-integrated and affordable public transport network fit for the 21st century.
Bus Regulation: The Musical (Strathclyde) was premiered at the CCA Glasgow on 24 April 2022. It was produced by Emily Furneaux and stars Katy Thomson as ‘the Clippie’ alongside skaters from Glasgow Roller Derby: Nicole Meehan, Sarah McGettigan, Heather McDougall, Heather Roberts, Molly Uzzell and Lauren Crone; Mean City Roller Derby: Ruby East and Ruth Brandon, and Chrissie Ardill and Libby Odai from the Sugar & Spin Skate Crew, with music by Andrew Lloyd Webber. It is supported by Creative Scotland, Hope Scott Trust, Climate Fringe and Take Me Somewhere. Film by James Alcock.
The Strathclyde Musical builds on the success of Bus Regulation: The Musical (Greater Manchester) staged at Manchester Art Gallery in 2019 in collaboration with the Better Buses for Greater Manchester campaign. This paved the way for the Mayor’s historic decision in March 2021 to proceed with re-regulating the region’s bus network – the first UK city region to do so since 1986.
- Barclay, K, 2017, Scottish Buses during Deregulation, Amberley Publishing
- Barclay, K, 2019, Scottish Buses during Deregulation: Another View, Amberley Publishing
- Bartos, M et al, 2021, Transport for Strathclyde: A new public transport network, Strathclyde Partnership for Transport
- Booth, G, 1978, Buses in Camera: Scotland, Ian Allan Publishing
- Booth, G, 2000, Scottish Bus Group, Ian Allan Publishing
- Booth, G, 2003, Scottish Buses: A Colour Portfolio, Ian Allan Publishing
- Brown, SJ, 1974, ‘The last outpost of the colourful bus’ in Buses Annual 1975, Littlehampton Book Services
- Brown, SJ, 2002, Western: 70 Years of Service, Arthur Southern
- Brown, SJ, 2016, Scotland’s Buses in the 1960s, Fawndoon Books
- Brown, SJ, 2018, Glasgow’s Buses, Fawndoon Books
- Cameron, A, 1990, Your wee happy book of Glasgow bus culture, Strathclyde’s Buses
- Castle, B, Dowd, M, 1993, 25 years of the Passenger Transport Authorities & Executives, Passenger Transport Executive Group
- Cowie, J, 2014, Re-regulating the deregulated: a case study of the Scottish bus market, University Transport Study Group
- Currie, J, 1996, ‘Region hands over reins after 21 years‘, The Herald
- Halewood, P, 2019, Celebrating Our Heritage: 125 Years of Public Transport in Glasgow, Glasgow Vintage Vehicle Trust
- Hansard, 1988b, Scottish Bus Group (Wednesday 27 January 1988), UK Parliament
- Hansard, 1988a, Scottish Bus Group (Tuesday 24 May 1988), UK Parliament
- Harrison, D, 1996, ‘Fair shares on the buses’, The Herald
- McLean, D, 2022, ‘The reason why Glasgow corpy buses switched from “tricolour” to orange in the 1980s’, Glasgow Live
- Millar, A, 1985, British Passenger Transport Executives: Strathclyde, Ian Allan Publishing
- Poole, F, 1995, Deregulation of the Buses, House of Commons Library
- Scott, M et al, 2022, Glasgow & Strathclyde Transport Act Scoping Study, Systra
- Stevenson, G, 2000, British Bus Deregulation, International Transport Workers Federation
- Ward, R, 2012, Bus Deregulation: 1985 Transport Act, Photo Transport
- Wikipedia, 2022, Strathclyde Partnership for Transport