The Monthly Sculptures...
The Monthly Sculptures Determined by the Daily Quantification Records were created using data collected during the Daily Quantification Records project. Every day throughout 2003, Ellie recorded data about 14 different aspects of her daily life on to A5 sheets of paper known as Daily Quantification Records. She recorded the number of steps she took using a pedometer which she wore at all times. She recorded her mass and body fat percentage every morning. She also counted the number of people she spoke to, website hits received, text messages received, pages of book read, gaseous emissions, spots, swear words uttered and alcoholic beverages consumed each day.
Each month this data was compiled to give a set of monthly averages, which was then applied to three specially devised systems to determine the form, colour and volume for a Monthly Sculpture. The form of the sculpture was dependant on the average number of alcoholic beverages consumed by the artist. The colour of the sculpture was dependant on the average number of swear words uttered by the artist and the volume of the sculpture was dependant on the average mass of the artist. Click on the links to the right under ‘Further Reference’ to view an example of some completed Daily Quantification Records, the poster describing the systems used to determine the sculptures and diagrams of all the Monthly Sculptures.
For this installation at the 2003 Goldsmiths Postgraduate Degree Show, the six Monthly Sculptures (January to June) were suspended from the ceiling revolving on motors. The sculptures’ positions within the room were dependant on other elements of the data. A large scale poster (200 × 140 centimetres) was hung at the end of the space to describe in detail the three systems used to convert the data into sculptures. In the corner of the room two films ‘The Guidelines for Maintaining the Daily Quantification Records’ and ‘Some Observations on the Daily Quantification Records Project’ played on a loop.
- Installation images
- Details of the Monthly Sculptures
- Posters describing the installation
- Video of the installation on Vimeo
- The Guidelines for Maintaining the Daily Quantification Records film on Vimeo
- Some Observations on the Daily Quantification Records Project film on Vimeo
- Monthly results of the Daily Quantification Records
- Samples of completed Daily Quantification Records
- High Street Casualties: Ellie Harrison’s Zombie Walk
- Dark Days
- After the Revolution, Who Will Clean Up the Mess?
- The Global Race
- Transition Community of One
- Attempt at an Inventory...
- Anti-Capitalist Aerobics
- The Other Forecast
- The Redistribution of Wealth
- The End Product
- Austerity & Anarchy
- Fair Game
- Early Warning Signs
- A Brief History of Privatisation
- The History of Revolution: Ellie Harrison’s Fireworks Display
- Press Release
- General Election Drinking Game
- Vending Machine
- The History of Financial Crises
- Know Your Thinkers & Theorists
- Angel Row Jukebox
- Self-Destruction (Building Site Ballot)
- I’ve Been Watching You
- Daily Data Display Room
- Daily Data Display Wall
- Sneezes 2003
- The Monthly Sculptures Determined by the Daily Quantification Records
- Gold Card Adventures
- Statistics Are Hot Air
- TicTac Typing & Peanut Typing
- Mass = Energy = Time
- Potential Generator
- Kinetic Cake vs Kinetic Carrot